Manufacturers in every area who are going global should be aware that poor translations can cause them a warehouse of problems and jeopardize their business. If your equipment is not properly labeled or the manuals are not translated in accordance with the local regulations, you won’t be able to reach the final customer and your market penetration will fail.
Therefore, it is necessary to choose a reliable language service provider that can help you translate and localize any type of content in any language that you need. It is vital to select a translation agency that has experience and expertise in your particular industry as this will guarantee higher quality of the translation and a much smoother overall process.
As a manufacturer, it is essential for you to shorten the time-to-market and get a better ROI so that your business can be profitable. It is also mandatory to meet all of the requirements related to your product documentation both in the country you are based in and in the countries, you are exporting to. This is where the right translation partner makes a difference.
Manufacturers should approach translations as putting their warehouse in order
As a manufacturer, you most likely own a warehouse, where you store your products. There is a certain order in that warehouse and we may guess that the goods that are about to leave it soon are the first to see, while the orders meant for the next couple of weeks are on the back. There is a reason to have order and it is to facilitate your operations and to make you more efficient and productive.
The same approach needs to be applied when it comes to translations. It is necessary to carefully assess what type of content needs to be urgently translated and what can be left for a later stage. This is better done with the advice of experts in the field. A trusted LSP can be an excellent partner for your global growth as they can give invaluable advice concerning translation and localization based on their experience. The good news of all is that, localization is a scalable process, so you can start with the most urgent content and then get back to the rest.
The top criterion to select your translations should include the legal framework of the country to which you are exporting. In the EU, for example, there are strict regulations when it comes to labeling, packaging, and user manuals of medical devices (with the regulatory framework being recently updated), as well as for all other types of equipment. Your translations need to meet those requirements, so that you can have a chance to enter the market at all and only then, you can start thinking about updating your website or translating any other content related to your business.
What type of translation services do manufacturers need?
While each and every business is different, we can sum up that there are several types of translation services from which manufacturers can choose. Below are present the types of services that are most beneficial to manufacturers who want to avoid problems and complications caused by poor translations:
- Document translation – the specification of the different types of documentation requires translators who are not only native speakers but also subject-matter experts to guarantee accurate and fluent translations.
- Technical translation – the service includes translation of highly technical documents that are produced by skilled technical writers. As this type of translation is quite specific, it needs to be provided by highly experienced translators with expertise in the given field.
- Website translation – your website marks your presence online and if it is properly translated and optimized, you have more chances of growing your business and keeping your current and prospect customers satisfied. A poor translation of your website might be interpreted as lack of vision or carelessness on your site, which may significantly diminish the trust in your abilities as a manufacturer capable of producing quality products.
These are three of the most important services that your LSP can help you with in order to guarantee the smooth market penetration of your company.
What causes poor translations?
There are many factors that can cause poor translations and create problems for manufacturers. While the most common ones are associated with the lack of competence and experience of the translator, there are some other not-so-obvious reasons that can also cause poor translations.
- Source content. In many instances when the source text is not properly written, this can cause a significant drop in the quality of the translated text. Quite often, translators are the first readers of manuals or product descriptions and as such, they can give feedback to improve the quality of the text they are reading. If a sentence sounds ambiguous in the source language, it will be the same in the target language as well. So we recommended you use short, clear and concise sentences for technical texts. Using the same term to denote certain object and sticking to the same construction make the source text more readable and hence contribute to the high quality of the translation.
- Miscommunication between client and translating agency. It is important to negotiate all the terms of the translation process and go through each step with your LSP prior to embarking on the project. In many instances, customers may have unrealistic expectations about the speed of translation or how often they can demand changes without that affecting the overall timeframe. Translators, on the other hand, may fail to communicate any issues found in a timely manner and thus cause unwanted delays. In any case, it is necessary to maintain good communication between the two parties in order to get a smooth process resulting in a high-quality translation.
Trying to avoid these two factors is beneficial not only for the customer but also for the translation provider. It is necessary to build a good relationship between the two parties that is based on trust and professionalism, so the translation process can run smoothly and lead to the desired results.
If you are looking for a reliable partner for your translations, ICD can offer a great variety of services in any language and we are more than happy to help you with your business expansion and growth.