Translation and training go hand in hand on various occasions to serve a single purpose: educating the target audience regardless of its demographics, learning goals or preferences. Life-long learning has paved the path for various courses and eLearning allowed them to reach a much broader audience. Hence, translation comes as the natural third step that will allow each and every type of training material to reach its target audience regardless of the language they speak.
There are certain factors that determine the quality of translation and training that you need to consider in order to succeed in your undertaking. What you need to know about translation and training is who can benefit from it, what are the main types of translation services you can use and how to select the best partner for your project.
Who needs translation and training?
Translation and training can be combined in many cases in order to reach a broader audience and improve the results of the training modules and materials. Various institutions and organizations can benefit from eLearning localization services and other forms of translation services. It is possible to differentiate four main types among them:
- Educational institutions that can be of various types and include schools, colleges, eLearning providers;
- Government organizations and institutions, especially those responsible for foreign affairs or working with immigrants or minorities;
- Business organizations of any size that collaborate with foreign partners, distribute their goods and services abroad or employ foreign employees;
- Individuals who are working in the field of education either as training content creators or users of such materials. This group can include tutors, eLearning developers, mentors, writers and many other professionals engaged in training.
As a representative of any of the above-listed groups, you can benefit from educational material translation. The service will allow you to establish a better connection with your target learners and reach your mutual goals more efficiently.
Different types of translation for training purposes: How to choose the best?
When it comes to translating educational and training materials, it is important to know what type of translation services you need. This can be based on the type of institution you represent, the type of training or instruction, and on the specific needs of your learners. In any case, we can speak of several main types of translation when it comes to training. The most popular include:
- Translation of educational materials designed for the traditional educational institutions such as schools, colleges or universities. The translation focuses on textbooks, manuals, books and follows well-established approaches for the successful translation of educational materials. It is essential to take into account not only the content of the training materials but also to maintain the right tone, style and non-verbal elements in all of the selected target languages.
- Translation of eLearning materials that can include entire courses or separate modules. The service aims to facilitate individuals who are seeking an option to improve their skills and knowledge.
- Translation of corporate training materials that are used by the business to train their employees, partners, and customers. The companies have come to the conclusion that eLearning helps create employee engagement and therefore it is necessary to provide consistent content to all of your employees regardless of the language they speak or their location. SHRM focus a lot on developing employees and support the idea of training importance by providing empirical evidence of its benefits.
In any of the cases, translation needs to be accurate, consistent and coherent with the brand message of the institution that provides the training. Using a Translation Management System (TMS) or Neural Machine Translation can prove valuable help in the overall process. Training aims to create value for the learners, regardless of the purpose behind their pursue of adding knowledge. Translation needs to render that value into a foreign language maintaining the cultural differences and non-verbal nuances of the target audience.
How to select the best language service provider for your translation of training materials?
Based on the importance of training in all of its forms, it is necessary to approach the process of translating educational materials with the necessary seriousness. Translation is a specific service that is provided by professionals who are trained in different fields and have knowledge both of the linguistic and cultural part of the process.
Selecting the proper language service provider (LSP) is a task that should not be underestimate. There are certain factors that go beyond the skills of the translators who will work on your project. A few to mention are good communication between you and your translation manager, ability to provide more services than mere translation such as desktop publishing, software localization, etc. and last but not least expertise in the area of your industry.
A training material is quite specific in its layout, content, references depending on the type of institution that uses it. So, you need to look for an LSP that has significant knowledge and experience in the area.
Another point to consider is access to native-speaking linguists who can guarantee a proper translation and localization into the target language you have selected.
In case you have chosen to translate your training materials into more than one language, make sure to find a vendor that offers all of the languages you need. Thus, you will get a consistent service and coherent content for all of your target customers, regardless of the language they speak.
Avoid translating educational materials using non-professional translators as this will result into poor quality and will eventually cost you more on the long run.
Here at ICD Translation, we are able to answer your specific needs when it comes to translation and training. Due to our multi-lingual team of translators and vast experience in the field of training, education, and eLearning, we offer fast and reliable services for any industry that needs its educational materials translated. We will help you map your translation process and ensure efficient throughout any of the steps.