A successful global marketing campaign can make your company name and brand easily recognizable, popularize your services or goods and subsequently boost your profits. In addition to an excellent marketing team you also need a reliable localization provider who can make your campaign actually reach the target audience it is intended for.
What is Localization?
Quite often translation and localization go hand in hand, however, they are not one and the same service as some may mistakenly believe. Localization is far broader than translation. The Globalization and Localization Association (GALA) defines localization аs “thе еntіrе рrосеss оf аdарtіng а рrоduсt оr соntеnt tо а sресіfіс lосаtіоn оr mаrkеt.”
Note that it is possible to localize a text without translating it into another language. Let’s take English as an example. The English spoken in the USA is not the same as the one in the UK or the one in Australia. Hence, some localization is necessary to make a given text sound natural to the reader. In other words, we can say that localization is the fine tuning of a text so that the content resonates with the local audience.
Why Localization matters?
Localization is an important service offered by the experienced translators and language service providers. It aims at improving the overall quality of a text and adds value when it comes to translation. When we create content we do it with the target audience in mind. We use the most appropriate colors and pictures, we insert tables, graphs and diagrams if necessary, stick to the respective metric system and give values in the local currency. Such a text serves best the local community and is welcomed by the target customers. If we are to go global, we need to make sure that this content has the same effect regardless of the language it is written in. we need not simple translation but proper localization to achieve our goals.
Otherwise, we risk to present inappropriate, incorrect, or even offensive content to the local audience which will inevitable have a negative financial impact on the company. Localization matters as it helps the provider speak the language of the end user.
Three Things You Need to Localize First
When it comes to localization, you are often faced with the question: What do I need to localize first in order to be successful? While it is necessary all of your content intended for a given locale to be localized, it is clear that this cannot be done all at once. Based on our experience we can recommend focusing on three aspects as a starter: website localization, software localization and educational material translation and localization.
- Website. Your website is your online portal to the rest of the world and you need to make sure that it is open to everyone. Keeping your website in only one language is no longer an option for a company that strives to be globally recognized. There are several trends in website localization and you need to choose which one is the most suitable for you. You can select between a multi-site – one different site with the relevant domain for each county you are targeting, or a multilingual site – one site that gives users the option to switch between language. In either case, you need to make sure that the entire content is properly translated and localized.
- Software. Software localization is quite important and at the same time tricky to do. It is necessary to use professional software localization services if you want the job properly done. One of the big issues is related to character limitations and the fact that a translated text shrinks or expands (more often) depending on the language combination. Having a software engineer on board makes the process go smooth and helps meet the customer’s demands.
- Training materials. Whenever you open offices abroad, you want your employees to be properly trained and to share the same company practices and values. This is achieved by proper training and good educational material translation and localization. It is essential to present the information in the mother tongue of the learners. A professional training material localization leads to coherent understanding of the company policy and reduces mistakes to a minimum.
Boosting your eLearning Marketing Campaign
The above-mentioned localization ideas can work for any business and are particularly important for online learning providers since the essence of their business is to offer a service that has no borders. As an eLearning provider you can learn from our marketing translation and localization guide in case you are planning to go global.
There are certain tips that can make your marketing campaign successful such as:
- Research your competitors in the given sector
- Focus on regions where your services are mainly sought after
- Find a local partner or develop a local distribution network
- Take into account cultural and language differences
- Localize your brand and your marketing campaigns
eLearning is gaining popularity and now in times of COVID-19 pandemic it is even more desired as an option for acquiring skills and knowledge. If you localize your courses and the marketing campaigns that promote them, there is a greater chance to reach a bigger audience and hence raise your profit on the long term.
Do Mobile Apps Need Localization?
Mobile apps market is highly competitive and you need to be ready to face that challenge. Your first step is to translate your app store description, your app content, any manual/guide that goes with the app and the customer experience. The next step is to localize the overall experience your app gives. That features updating currencies, date, address and name formats, measurement units as the basic step of localization.
The next level takes you to using the most appropriate graphs, pictures, photos and references depending on the locale you are targeting. Depending on the mobile app you offer, you will have to consider localizing different elements that may affect the decision of the end user to purchase or not your product. In any case and regardless of your business niche, localization is the best answer if you are going global. Make sure that your marketing campaign is professionally translated and localized so that you can successfully promote your brand.
Here, at ICD Translation, we have extensive experience with localization services in any sphere – from software to eLearning. Our translators are ready to offer a helping hand with any language combination and make sure that your marketing campaign actually goes global.