Learning takes different forms and some of the most popular ways of learning nowadays are e-learning and online tutoring. There is great similarity between the two forms and in fact one can complement the other very successfully.
One of the reasons people choose online tutoring or e-learning as their preferred form of acquiring new knowledge is because they both give a lot of freedom and flexibility. Below, you will find what are the key benefits of online tutoring and e-learning and how online tutors can benefit from e-learning and its localization.
Benefits of online tutoring
Online tutoring can be a very useful and convenient way of learning both for kids and grown-ups. Basically, the tutor is an instructor who gives private lessons and helps learners with issues they are struggling with. The development of internet and mobile technologies facilitated the development of the profession of the online tutor. If you need assistance and you are wondering whether to turn to the services of online tutoring, below you will find a list of benefits that will convince you of its advantages:
· Flexibility – you can schedule your sessions for any time and day in accordance to your preferences;
· Access to professionals from all over the world – since the tutoring is online the pool of tutors you can choose from is significant. You are not limited by the regional principle and proximity;
· Variety of subjects – online you can find tutors in virtually any subject or exam that you need assistance with;
· Affordable instruction at high level – since you have access to various tutors from around the world, you can find high quality tutoring at very reasonable prices;
· Personalized approach – online tutors not only offer personalized approach for each student but also utilize tools as Skype, text chat, shared whiteboards and files, etc. Besides, you can book an online tutor only for half an hour, which is not possible with a personal tutor who comes to your house
Benefits of e-learning
No doubt e-learning has established itself as one of the leading forms of learning for both young and old. It is preferred both by individuals and companies and is a great way to reach broader audience in shorter time and with less costs. Perhaps three of the most important advantages of e-learning are:
· Accessibility – it is easily accessible on all mobile devices and one can learn everywhere and at any time;
· Higher knowledge retention – since e-learning utilizes different tools like animation, videos, graphs, quizzes, interactive elements, etc. it facilitates knowledge retention for a longer period of time. On top of it, when the e-learning course is properly translated and localized it brings additional value to the learners.
· Time- and cost-efficient – one of the reasons why e-learning is so efficient is because it reduces the time we spent away from our workplace, removes the need to travel to a given educational institution and eliminates the necessity for classroom-based training. Since there is no need to use paper e-learning also reduces the carbon footprint the industry has.
Creative ways online tutors can utilize e-learning
Usually a learner who is following a certain e-learning course gets in contact with an online tutor to ask for help or additional clarifications with the material. This might be due to two main reasons:
1. The learner does not understand the subject matter and needs more explanations and/or examples
2. The course is written in a language that is not the native of the learner and they need help with translation and clarification of some concepts
In the first case, the learner is struggling with the ideas presented in the e-learning module. This might be due to the specific language used or just because it is tackling an issue, which is not easily perceived. The job of the online tutor is to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the learner and use them to better clarify the subject matter of the e-learning module.
In some cases, the learners might have problems with the e-learning platform or the management system used to host a certain module. In this case, the online tutor can offer help by explaining the features of the e-learning platform and assisting the learner to navigate easier throughout the course. In such cases, we are talking about specific on-demand tutoring, where the tutor is flexible enough to offer additional support at odd times and for shorter periods.
In the second case, the learner is struggling with the language and not so much with the content of the e-learning course. The problem is not with the subject matter but with how it is presented. In this case, the best online tutor the learner can find is someone who is not only native in the language but also has in-depth knowledge of the subject of the course. An interesting approach of the learner will be to give feedback to the e-learning provider with advice for the next e-learning module to be properly translated and localized before being offered to a foreign market.
The relationship between e-learning and online tutoring, however, can be in another direction. The online tutors can create e-learning modules that can help them promote their services. Many tutoring agencies offer free online tutoring sessions so that the learner can choose a tutor. Another possibility for the tutors themselves, is to prepare short e-learning modules that present either their strengths and experience or are an excerpt of what the learner can expect from a session with them. Those e-learning pieces can be in the type of micro-learning modules or interactive videos.
Another option for using e-learning by online tutors is to utilize it in the form of homework. The tutor can prepare short e-learning modules and assign them as tasks to the learners who have to do them at home. Then the tutor checks and grades them. This is additional work for the tutor but it will surely pay out and attract more learners.
Given the fact that both e-learning and online tutoring have such benefits, combining them both is only in the interest of the learners. The development of the technologies allows learners to utilize all the available channels in an attempt to develop the skills and acquire the knowledge they need.